MissJeanswimming/infant classes are for 6 months to 12 months,
What is water adjustment? Has we know babies come from water, and then adjust to having air and gravity. The sooner infant’s have a chance to adjust back to weightless floating the better.We are working on back floating and rolling over, with this age group we are working on water adjustment and having fun in the water. The class is 20 minutes because that’s what a baby can handle as far as a stimulus. We are singing songs that kids are familiar with but with a swimming theme. Songs are “If you happy and you know it splashes your hands ” “motorboat, motorboat”, “The Wheels on the bus”, “twinkle twinkle little star”( back float ), “my bonnie lies over the ocean”( back float).”Fishes in the ocean “(jumping song). or” Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall”. (jumping song). “Clean up, Clean up”, (cleaning up song at the end of class.) when it comes to learning to more time in the water the better. coming to the pool and playing with your parent is most kids’ favorite thing. You can take one lesson a week but be in the water every day, practicing those skills learned in class. having fun by learning and playing is the key.
While there may be crying, the goal is to teach kids about their environment.
As parents, we do everything we can to childproof our lives. You can put a gate around the pool. lock on the toilet seat, but if your child is determined to go in the water, they will get there. Loving the water begins before birth, infants are surrounded by water hearing everything thru the water. So to me, it’s a reintroduction to water. The longer you wait, the more they forget. We all started as fish, I tell my students,” let your little fish out!” to be real infants aren’t going to swim, they will tadpole and learn to roll over. But most infants don’t have the strength to swim face down, for longer than a stroke or two.
To help with strength building we do a lot of crab walking and climbing out of the pool.
When you see new swimmers it’s a modified crawl(baby style), looks like climbing a ladder. that keeps the weight under the infant, like an ice cube, floating half under and half on top. When I teach infants to go underwater, it’s with glides to parents, showing that a facedown position keeps water out of their noses. I encourage parents with kids that “don’t like their face to be wet”. To introduce the babies to the shower. where their face is wet but not under the water. Teaching them to wipe their own face instead of needing a towel. I used a bathtub seat with suction cups on the bottom and bath toys with my kids. They wanted to be in the shower with me anyway.
This is a list of things that help with swimming lessons.
- Another way I help infants float is to put them in wetsuits.
- Swim caps help so many things keeping hair out of their faces, keeping heads warm, and protects from the elements like sun and wind, there is a bonus of extra floating as well.
- I find introducing goggles at this age is easier than later on.
- Babies are full of air and fat so they will float naturally, but float requires your ears to be in the water which can be uncomfortable and the reason most kids cry. We will use the motorboat song to roll from front to back and roll again to front.
- When we work on jumps it’s really a sit /dive. where the kids learn to fall face-first into the water and then pop up and grab the wall. that’s the first skill we work on. Falling in and finding the wall. then crab-walking to the steps.
- A lot of parents are putting water shoes on their kids because the deck can get very hot, but the shoes also help with keeping their feet floating when they are vertical in the water.
- Of course, infants need to wear a swim diaper, NB pool requires a disposable swim diaper with a permanent swim diaper over it.
- Teaching your child to be safe is an ongoing task, whether it’s walking across the street looking both ways or taking the car out for the first time. They need to live and learn, and I’m here to guide you in keeping your kids safe around water.
- Join me at Northbridge recreation center in San Rafael for lessons for your family.