My Pool This Poet Swimming Laps The early sun peeks through the cloud bank“Thank God it might warm up the water”The light sparkles on the ripples that the jets shoot across the pool.They twist in sinewy sea serpent shapes, while my forearms cover themselves in bumps…“Oh My God….. it’s so cold”But I’m in the […]This Poet Swimming Laps — Digital Rabbit Hole
By Eilene Lyon The “From the Vault” series features an artifact or family photo from my collection to illustrate a tale from my distant past. In retrospect, I’m grateful my parents insisted we learn to swim as young children. That doesn’t mean I enjoyed the process, though. I don’t recall where I first began taking […]From the Vault: Swimming Lessons — Myricopia
MissJeanswimming/infant classes are for 6 months to 12 months,
What is water adjustment? Has we know babies come from water, and then adjust to having air and gravity. The sooner infant’s have a chance to adjust back to weightless floating the better.We are working on back floating and rolling over, with this age group we are working on water adjustment and having fun in the water. The class is 20 minutes because that’s what a baby can handle as far as a stimulus. We are singing songs that kids are familiar with but with a swimming theme. Songs are “If you happy and you know it splashes your hands ” “motorboat, motorboat”, “The Wheels on the bus”, “twinkle twinkle little star”( back float ), “my bonnie lies over the ocean”( back float).”Fishes in the ocean “(jumping song). or” Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall”. (jumping song). “Clean up, Clean up”, (cleaning up song at the end of class.) when it comes to learning to more time in the water the better. coming to the pool and playing with your parent is most kids’ favorite thing. You can take one lesson a week but be in the water every day, practicing those skills learned in class. having fun by learning and playing is the key.
While there may be crying, the goal is to teach kids about their environment.
As parents, we do everything we can to childproof our lives. You can put a gate around the pool. lock on the toilet seat, but if your child is determined to go in the water, they will get there. Loving the water begins before birth, infants are surrounded by water hearing everything thru the water. So to me, it’s a reintroduction to water. The longer you wait, the more they forget. We all started as fish, I tell my students,” let your little fish out!” to be real infants aren’t going to swim, they will tadpole and learn to roll over. But most infants don’t have the strength to swim face down, for longer than a stroke or two.
To help with strength building we do a lot of crab walking and climbing out of the pool.
When you see new swimmers it’s a modified crawl(baby style), looks like climbing a ladder. that keeps the weight under the infant, like an ice cube, floating half under and half on top. When I teach infants to go underwater, it’s with glides to parents, showing that a facedown position keeps water out of their noses. I encourage parents with kids that “don’t like their face to be wet”. To introduce the babies to the shower. where their face is wet but not under the water. Teaching them to wipe their own face instead of needing a towel. I used a bathtub seat with suction cups on the bottom and bath toys with my kids. They wanted to be in the shower with me anyway.
This is a list of things that help with swimming lessons.
- Another way I help infants float is to put them in wetsuits.
- Swim caps help so many things keeping hair out of their faces, keeping heads warm, and protects from the elements like sun and wind, there is a bonus of extra floating as well.
- I find introducing goggles at this age is easier than later on.
- Babies are full of air and fat so they will float naturally, but float requires your ears to be in the water which can be uncomfortable and the reason most kids cry. We will use the motorboat song to roll from front to back and roll again to front.
- When we work on jumps it’s really a sit /dive. where the kids learn to fall face-first into the water and then pop up and grab the wall. that’s the first skill we work on. Falling in and finding the wall. then crab-walking to the steps.
- A lot of parents are putting water shoes on their kids because the deck can get very hot, but the shoes also help with keeping their feet floating when they are vertical in the water.
- Of course, infants need to wear a swim diaper, NB pool requires a disposable swim diaper with a permanent swim diaper over it.
- Teaching your child to be safe is an ongoing task, whether it’s walking across the street looking both ways or taking the car out for the first time. They need to live and learn, and I’m here to guide you in keeping your kids safe around water.
- Join me at Northbridge recreation center in San Rafael for lessons for your family.
- Welcome to the missjeanswimming family.
- It’s my mission in life “Get kids swimming asap”.
- Missjeanswimming’s works every day to match a great instructor with students.We do this with hiring instructors with years of knowledge teaching swimming.
- Insurance. missjeanswimming LLC. provides insurance for everything that happens when the student is taking lessons on the instructor’s side. I will need the contact information of the pool owner, they will be responsible for providing a pool that has all the chemicals/PH within normal range.
- As well as a pool temp that is 75-82 degrees if the kids under the age of 4. If the pool is unheated, my instructors do wetsuit lessons, but under 65 degree’s NO-LESSON, unless they are swimmers, big kids 100 pounds +.
- Instructor will check in 15 minutes before lessons to do chemical reads and check temp.
- Scheduling goes thru google invite, please accept or decline lessons monthly, that how you are billed.
- Billed thru Venmo:missjeanswimming, checks,missjeanswimming
CEO of missjeanswimming,LLC.
I have been o a mission to find my biological grand parents. For the last 5 years or so. DNA testing my whole family. With the help of expert we found his parents where Barbara Foss and Everett Uplinger. How did they meet I wondered, were they in love? After many email’s with Barbara’s nieces and nephew’s,I found she never married or had other kids. She had been thrown as a small child and had a brain injury. Her aunt Julia raised her after her mother passed away. Catherine Bofinger passed at 21 years old, 6 day’s after delivering her second child Betty Foss. Catherine was the youngest of 9 children.
Betty was adopted by the Harrow family and they moved to L.A. where she became a writer for day’s of our lives, and her daughter Susan Hayes became the star of the show marrying her leading man William Hayes.
She also never ha children of her own.
When I asked why Barbara had abandoned my father, like he had been told. Lois said that Barbara was sent to a home for unwed mother’s and she never saw the baby. they also said they didn’t know how she became pregnant, because she had a mind of a child and anyone would notice that after speaking with her. They never knew the father but suspected that she had been taken advantage of.Which isn’t what I wanted to hear or tell my father.
As I research more about Everett Uplinger, I found he worked at the Elks Club in Sacramento, as a instructor, he also competed in wrestling match’s in Reno. He was drafted and died aa a 1st LT in the US army.So he must have been very strong.He also never married or had any other kids. Now I’ trying to find pictures of him and learn more about his time in the military.